Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: looking for a good camera

  1. #1
    Inactive Member tashunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 11th, 2000
    Posts
    141
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    First off I want to thanks Mike for getting this forum started. I'm looking forward to lots of helpful hints and ideas. I shot a few super8 projects (including a music video) about a year ago but haven't done anything since. I now have a Sony D8 and an old Eumig C16 that I've been using lately. I'm finding for some things that the digital is just to clean and crisp and the 16mm is just too dang expensive. Sooooooo, I'm selling the Eumig C16 in order to buy a good quality super8. The 2 cameras I've been thinking about buying are a Canon 1014 and a Beaulieu 4008zmII. My budget for the camera is about $300 Canadian (the same value of the C16). Can anyone recommend one of those cameras over the other. My main areas of interest are Music videos and sports/action films. Thanx in advance for any suggestions.

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner MikeBrantley's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 9th, 2000
    Posts
    173
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for helping me get this forum off to a good start.

    I don't think you can go wrong with either one of these cameras as long as you understand the one major caveat with the Beaulieu cameras. That is that they use a special batteries that are hard to come by. With these cameras being a quarter-century or more old, chances are high the battery it is supplied will no longer accept a full charge.

    That said, it is possible to have the old batteries re-celled (it's costly) or to find a camera with a good battery. Or you could rig the camera to use an external power source. The Canon cameras use cheap easy-to-find AA alkaline batteries, so no problems with power there.

    I've never used a Canon 1014, so I can't speak firsthand abou that. But I have owned a Canon 514XLS and still use a 814XL Electronic. They're fine cameras, and my only complaint about the 814XL Electronic is that it won't do 24fps.

    I have owned a Beaulieu 4008ZMII, and I loved it. I was lucky enough to have a strong battery. The 6-66 zoom lens was awesome (different lens options exist since this camera uses removable C-mount lenses, unlike the fixed lenses on the Canon cameras). I sold it last year when I was raising cash for my new computer and MiniDV digital camcorder.

    But, I missed my Beaulieu too much. So I just bought another one (this one with a new external power source), and I am expecting its delivery next week.

    Here's a URL for one of the best sources of information I've found online for the Beaulieu cameras. http://lavender.fortunecity.com/lave.../beaulieu.html will take you to Martin Baumgarten's collection of tips and advice on these fine machines.

    By the way, I consider the 4008 cameras to be the best-looking cameras ever. The look is French design married with classic Star Trek. Just remember to leave your camera set on stun unless you mean business!

    My only complaint with the design is the grip for handheld shooting is barely big enough for me to get two fingers around it! Grip extenders were available and sometimes show up on eBay.

    Good luck.

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner MikeBrantley's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 9th, 2000
    Posts
    173
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't know what happened to that link I listed. It doesn't seem to be working tonight, and neither does the 8mm Metadirectory link. I hope these pages are only temporarily missing in action!

    Anyway, here's another page with info on making your own Beaulieu batteries...
    http://www.tiac.net/users/mjs2/celluloid/beauliea.htm

    I saved out the text of a newsgroup message from Martin, which I think was about the same thing published on the link above that isn't working right now. I'll post it in the next message.

  4. #4
    HB Forum Owner MikeBrantley's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 9th, 2000
    Posts
    173
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here's Martin's info on Beaulieu cameras...

    -------------------------------------------

    Path: mindspring!news.mindspring.net!news.maxwell.syr.ed u!cpk-news-hub1.bbnplanet.com!news.gtei.net!portc01.news.aol. com!audrey04.news.aol.com!not-for-mail
    From: [email protected] (Super8mm)
    Newsgroups: alt.movies.cinematography.super8
    Subject: Re: 4008 zm4
    Lines: 85
    NNTP-Posting-Host: ladder05.news.aol.com
    X-Admin: [email protected]
    Date: 10 Mar 2000 14:14:34 GMT
    References: <[email protected]>
    Organization: AOL http://www.aol.com
    X-Newsreader: Session Scheduler
    Message-ID: <[email protected]>
    Xref: mindspring alt.movies.cinematography.super8:6931

    Thursday March 9, 2000

    Hi JT,

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (www.geocities.com/ blakestree) writes:
    >Subject: 4008 zm4
    >From: [email protected] (www.geocities.com/ blakestree)
    >Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 23:33:36 -0500 (EST)
    >New, grand total of $610. Is this to be expected???...May have to settle
    >for zmII.
    >JT

    --> If the BEAULIEU 4008ZM4 that you intend to get is in good to excellent
    working condition, and in decent shape cosmetically as well, then this is a
    fair price. However.....there isn't any real significant advantage to getting
    a 4008ZM4 over the late model 4008ZM2s, since the only really big change was
    the increase of the high end Frames-per-Second running rate of 70fps(on the
    4008ZM2) to 80fps(on the 4008ZM4). That was the only real change to the camera
    body, for argument sake. The other big change was to the lens, of which there
    were two offered:
    (1). 6mm to 70mm F/1.4 Schneider-Kreuznach lens with macro(available only on
    the wide angle end).
    (2). 6mm to 80mm F/1.4 Angenieux lens with macro (available only on the wide
    angle end).

    --> In my humble opinion....a BEAULIEU 4008ZM2 (or 4008ZMII with roman numeral
    designation....same camera), of late model vintage...the one with the small
    black declutch button just above the footage counter window.....and, having the
    6mm to 66mm F/1.8 Schneider-Kreuznach lens(which allows full macro closeup
    capability at ANY focal length!), would be a better choice. Another good
    choice would be a 4008ZM4 with the same 6mm to 66mm lens(which will work on
    this camera also...but wasn't available any more at the time of introduction).

    ---> The 6mm to 70mm Schneider-Kreuznach lens that appeared on the 4008ZM4,
    also showed up on late model 5008S(Multispeed) models, and is the same lens
    design that made it into the later Beaulieu lexon-bodied models beginning with
    the 6008S on up. This is an excellent lens...don't get me wrong.....fine
    optics....it's just that relegating the macro feature to ONLY the wide angle
    end of the zoom range was a major step down. Anyone that has ever used the
    6mm to 66mm Schneider lens can atest to this advantage. However.....as far as
    cameras go...the 4008ZM4 did have some minor improvement and is a very capable
    camera, virtually identical in all respects of operation to the previous
    4008ZM2 (as well as the somewhat rare 4008M3 ruggedized safari version which
    didn't have power zoom, and didn't have the declutch button for film rewind).

    ---> One last major point of consideration when choosing a BEAULIEU Super 8mm
    camera: These older models use a screwin battery cell pack, which is expensive
    to replace (but can be recelled....even still a $100 or better expense), and
    quite often....a given camera, unless coming from someone that actually used
    it...will probably have sat for years. One of the unique features is that
    most any Beaulieu interchangeable lens Super 8mm camera can be repaired,
    serviced, adjusted etc....with greater ease than most any other Super 8mm
    camera.

    However...servicing requires a knowledgeable technician and it usually comes
    at considerable cost. It is not uncommon to pay anywhere from $175 to $350 to
    have a camera completely serviced. And even at that....parts can be difficult
    if not impossible to get (unless the camera is returned to the factory for
    serving in France...meaning you have to go thru a dealer and it WILL be
    expensive!), so that often....if the light meter is on the fritz (broken,
    damaged, or completely inaccurate), it may not be repairable, even though you
    will still be paying a hefty service bill. The light meters weren't all that
    great on automatic even when these cameras were new...but worked fine in manual
    mode. And manual mode is how most Beaulieu older model owners use their
    cameras anyhow....and usually with a handheld light meter (unless the builtin
    one is still functioning well).

    ---> In closing, I would like to add that the BEAULIEU Super 8mm movie cameras
    are quite capable machines, and will deliver some of the sharpest and steadiest
    Super 8mm footage you have ever seen. The do require some care (as all cameras
    do, of course), and can be considerably slower to operate than most any other
    Super 8mm camera. This is due in part to its design, and that it has
    professional features, usually only seen on very expensive 16mm cameras. If
    you don't mind having to pay high for servicing when needed, and can live with
    the camera's limitations and idiosyncracies......then what it can do for your
    filmmaking will benefit you. Otherwise...I would have to suggest using a
    different make camera. My suggestion to any Super 8mm filmmaker is to own
    several cameras anyhow....probably at least half a dozen for a variety of
    reasons and filming needs. The Beaulieu will make an excellent addition to a
    Super 8mm filmmaker's equipment lineup.
    Happy Filmmaking!
    Best wishes,
    Martin W. Baumgarten
    [email protected]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Lil Scorcese's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 3rd, 2000
    Posts
    21
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    Yep. Martin is definately the man when it comes to Beaulieu advice. Great to know, because this info is hard to find for us "privilaged" owners!! :-)

    -Lil'S

    ------------------
    Check out Indie Film North http://www.indiefilmnorth.cjb.net

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •